Karl R. DeRouen
Professor | Director of the International Studies Program
- 313 ten Hoor Hall
- (205) 348-0602
Or by appointment .
- B.S. – Louisiana State University, Zoology 5/1984
- M.N.S. – Louisiana State University, Geography 5/1987
- Ph.D. – Texas A&M University, Political Science 12/1993
- Certificate of Completion: Facilitation of Dialogue Processes and Mediation Efforts, Folke Bernadotte Academy, Sweden,6/2011
- Post-doctoral fellowship: University of Haifa, Israel, 1993-94
- International Relations
- “Is U.S. Humanitarian Aid Based Primarily on Need or Self-Interest?” International Studies Quarterly, forthcoming (with Rob Kevlihan and Glen Biglaiser)
- Understanding Foreign Policy Decision Making. 2010. Cambridge University Press (with Alex Mintz; being translated into Arabic and Hebrew; Winner of Israeli Social Science Network Book of the Month, March 2010).
- “What Makes a State Stable? Good Governance, Legitimacy and the Legal-rational State Matter Even More for Low income States.” Civil Wars, pgs. 499–520, 2012 (with Shaun Goldfinch)