- B.A. – University of Florida, 1986
- Ph.D. – Florida State University, 1998
- Public Policy
- State Politics
- Race, Ethnicity and Politics
- PSC 211 State and Local Government
- Ph.D. Seminar in State Politics and Policy
- Research Methods
- Soss, Joe, Richard C. Fording and Sanford F. Schram. 2011. Disciplining the Poor: Neoliberal Paternalism and the Persistent Power of Race. University of Chicago Press.
- Fording, Richard C., Joe Soss, and Sanford F. Schram. 2011. “Race and the Local Politics of Punishment in the New World of Welfare.” American Journal of Sociology 116, 5: Vol. 116, No. 5 (March 2011), pp. 1610-57.
- Soss, Joe, Richard C. Fording and Sanford F. Schram. 2011. “The Organization of Discipline: From Performance Management to Perversity and Punishment.” Journal of Public Administration Research and Theory 21(suppl 2): 203-232.